1/29/11

Paradise Garden Project Weekend Update- Week 1

The weather this week was perfect to begin working on the garden. I started clearing out weeds and general clean-up on Monday.Spent about two hours a day getting things ready, trying to get a jump on this seasons planting. Wednesday I picked up about a hundred packs of seeds from the 99 cent store, around 30 different varieties of vegetables, snap-dragons and sunflowers. They have several varieties of vegetable and flower seeds. This year we're growing flowers too. I'll probably go back to the store today to pick up more seeds, they're only 9 cents a pack and they sell quick so it's good to buy up as much as possible. I don't want to limit the garden to just vegetables, we can grow everything. I'm looking forward to eventually trading some of what we grow for stuff we don't have with local gardeners and nurseries. I found out that it's more effective to cultivate seedlings before planting. What we need right now is more small pots to start seedlings in. On Friday I took some plastic soda bottles I had saved up and cut them in half and poked a few holes for drainage on the bottom  to make some seedling pots. 



Maya helped me fill the pots and plant some broccoli seeds. We made about 20 pots and used a little more than half a pack of seeds. All the seedings will start growing indoors in a couple open areas we have. When we transplant the seedlings out doors I plant on making some diy greenhouses using plastic sheeting, they're quick and easy to make, good for protecting  plants when they're young. 


The mulch pit I dug out last June has some good soil for potting. Composting and mulching is critical to good growing. I have two pits, one just for compost and another next to the tumbler to mix with dirt. Pretty soon we'll have more than enough enriched dirt to spread around. The area in the front yard needs it most but the rest of the space we're putting plots is already pretty fertile.
Next Saturday we'll be having our first garden meeting and planting party. One of my goals this week is to pick up a lot more seeds and pots. Also I'll start transferring mulch to to tumbler pit to mix with dirt so we'll have plenty of fertile soil. There's still a ton of weeding and general maintenance to be done. When it's finished I can start sectioning off more garden plots..  



No comments:

Post a Comment